Thursday, April 19, 2012

Coincidence? I think not. :)



Did you know that your life has already been planned since before time by the Creator of the Universe? Pretty spectacular realization, isn’t it? God knew your name before the beginning of time!

As of late I have been connecting the dots of my life and have discovered many things.

Including this little diddy that perhaps for-shadowed what was to come to pass.


In grade school one of my favorite books on my Mom’s shelves was called “The Best Loved Poems of the American People.” I scoured its pages often and thoroughly enjoyed the delightful verbiage between its covers.

For a 10th grade English project, I made illustrations to accent some of these poems, including this one below.

My drawing for the poem called “TO A FRIEND” consisted of a single rose with a tag on it that said “Pour un Ami.”

Fast forward to present day: "Ami" is my nickname for one whom I am so happy to know.


Here is the poem:

You ENTERED my life in a casual way,
And saw at a glance what I needed;
There were others who passed me or met me each day,
But never a one of them heeded.
Perhaps you were thinking of other folks more,
Or chance simply seemed to decree it;
I know there were many such chances before,
But the others-well, they didn't see it.

You said just the thing that I wished you would say,
And you made me believe that you meant it;
I held my head in the old gallant way,
And resolved you should never repent it.
There are times when encouragement means such a lot,
And a word is enough to convey it;
There were others who could have, as easy as not -
But, just the same, they didn't say it.

There may have been someone who could have done more
To help me along, though I doubt it;
What I needed was cheering, and always before
They had let me plod onward without it.
You helped to refashion the dream of my heart,
And made me turn eagerly to it;
There were others who might have (I question that part) -
But, after all, they didn't do it!

- Grace Stricker Dawson



I encourage all to own a copy of this marvelous book or at least inquire if it is at your local library. Every page is a delicious treat that allows one’s imagination to consider the beauty of life’s many different experiences.

This web site link is one of many retail stores that offers the reprint of the 1936 copyright version to consumers.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-best-loved-poems-of-the-american-people-hazel-felleman/1000211468

Have a great day!