Tuesday, July 14, 2015

I Love Snowflakes! :)


This is a photo of my latest pet Snowflake. 
This week I shared my story of how I now own her. 
Of course as cat lovers well know, who owns who? :)

The authors of the book Rescued Kitties: A Collection of Heart-Warming Cat Stories are publishing a sequel. I replied to Taylor and Klassen's Craigslist.org ad to have Snowflake's and my story considered for inclusion in their next collection. 

Below is what I sent them. Enjoy!

Christmas in July :) by Laura Moody

One of my absolutely favorite things is a snowflake. How wonderful it is that our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ could make each one unique, never to repeat another. It is almost a shame they disappear so rapidly and that they are so miniscule! I am certainly glad we have microscopes to see their beauty. It is equally as wonderful that Jesus also makes each person unique, for His purposes alone. We all have a purpose in God's eyes and He has planned good works for us to complete well in advance of our birth. Our God is good like that! :)

(For we are God's handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do. Ephesians 2:10 - The Holy Bible NIV) 

For 18 years I had the privilege of owning and caring for two brother cats that I rescued from the county shelter. At 6 months old, they had already had one home and were given up for adoption because they had climbed the curtains. Obviously the previous owners were first time kitten parents! All I could do was shake my head and make arrangements to be the mom for Boo and Scooter. Each one wore a furry tuxedo, complete with white socks, mittens and shirt. :) Boo showcased the black suit and Scooter the gray one. I enjoyed many good times with them. For the majority of their lives they were indoor kitties. Later in their lives though I really wanted them to experience the outdoors. It was great fun to see Boo run at a steady gait the 100 yards behind my townhouse on the green grass. He reminded me of a puma! Scooter regularly enjoyed climbing the wooden fence similar to how a squirrel might shimmy up a tree. Often he would find his way to the top of my garden shed and sun himself while curled in a ball with a nice little smile on his face. Both cats enjoyed the garden very much and spent many days lying in oxalis clover and orange mint as well as reclining on the steel gray field rocks I used for landscaping.

Boo lived until December 2012 and Scooter lived another year, passing in Jan. 2014. While I was sad at no longer having them with me, I also enjoyed not having to scoop poop for a while. Then, it happened. I missed having a pet. In particular, I missed having a cat as a pet. So, on route one day in July 2014, I passed by the shelter in my car. I saw their sign that said pet fee waived for the coming week. Yahoo!

I took advantage of the opportunity and soon found myself at the shelter looking at all the animals and then ultimately focusing in on all the cats. I noticed a very cute Maine Coon kitten with blue eyes that unfortunately had a bit of an infection. It was so young and I really thought it would be nice to give such a little itty-bitty thing so new to the world a comfortable home. I kept looking around at the other choices and there in one of the bottom cages was an extraordinarily beautiful long haired, all- white cat with pink ears, pink nose and light blue bright eyes. They were just like marbles!

I read the description of the cat and found out that she was a 2 year old female named Snowflake!!! I was pleased and happy and a big smile appeared on my face. I asked the attendant why Snowflake was here and after hearing about her last family, which included 2 adults, 3 kids, 2 other cats and a dog, I rationalized that she would clearly be a lot less stressed and not continue with restroom issues if she was mine.

I did not go home with her that day we met. I was still on the fence about the little sick Maine Coon kitten. So I prayed and decided I would return to the shelter in 2 days. I asked Jesus to show me which feline I should have and if it was His will that I own a pet again. I was excited to see what would transpire later in the week!

On that Thursday I arrived prior to the opening hour to see two on-call vets enter while I was waiting in line. I asked if they were going to see the sick little Maine Coon kitten and they replied that they were. I waited with a mom and her children on the bright sunny day and we discussed which pet we were interested in. They were quite relieved when I said I wanted a cat, because they were after a husky dog which according to them was quite popular and they were hoping to be the ones to adopt the animal which they had seen on the shelter's web site.

At last we entered the building and quickly moved to our respective animal areas to see who was still available. I checked for the kitten first. Its cage was empty. Then I checked all the other cages for Snowflake. She was there! I asked to spend time with her in the visiting room. She seemed a little nervous but certainly playful, alert and curious. I thanked my Lord Jesus and went to the counter to secure her.

While I was at the counter, another new pet owner was working on finalizing her adoption too. The representative I had was not aware of the pet adoption fee being waived that week, so I was very appreciative of the customer nearby repeating what I had already stated. I also learned that Snowflake had a microchip embedded under her skin for tracking purposes. I never had a pet with that sort of technology so it was a bonus in case she ever got lost. (Note - That is exactly how I had ended up at the shelter 20 years ago and securing Boo and Scooter. The cat Pooh that my west coast housemate had given me had traveled cross-country with me from Los Angeles, California to Northern Virginia. He spent most of the time under the front seat of the car while on route and at a hotel I had to use my jack-knife to remove mattress material in order to retrieve him from his secret hiding place of the bed's box spring. That was pretty funny. Pooh even saw snow for the first time within four months of arriving on the east coast. Sadly my cool cat disappeared one evening when no one was home. I searched for the animal for months and even placed notes in neighbors' mailboxes asking if they had seen it. For your information please do not open other peoples' mailboxes and insert lost pet notices even if the mailboxes are next to the curb. I received a phone call from the local postmaster saying that it was against the law. I didn't know. I was very distraught. My Cali cat was gone. The great news though is that many times good things have a way of appearing after perhaps some not so good things have taken place. So in that case long ago, even though Pooh never came home,  I later had a chance to rescue two more kitties from the shelter - Boo and Scooter.)

So before I left the shelter with Snowflake, I knew to check the area where they gave away new pet owner supplies. I had already prayed and asked Jesus to have a large cat carrier be there so that when I put my house on the market, Snowflake could be kept safe when visitors came to view the property. Jesus provided that too. :) As it happened, the metal cage was white, with a red metal tray the length of its bottom. It reminded me of a sled.

(And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. 2 Corinthians 9:8 - The Holy Bible NIV) 

Christmas in July surely happened as I took home my presents mid-day!

<><